Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Little to No Cost Television

If you are like me, you love television.  However, just as everything else these days, it seems like the price to watch TV just keeps rising and rising.  I became tired of paying about $60 a month for cable TV.  That equals to about $720 a year just to watch TV.  I could find a much better use for all that money.  Enter my thrifty side...

I began by researching other cable companies and analyzing their packages.  It all just seemed way too expensive, in my opinion, for television.  So I did a little more research.  This time I turned to streaming television.  There are many options out there today.  I checked out Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.  In the end my husband and I decided to choose Netflix.  It fit all our needs and for $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming, it was the perfect price.  


In addition to our streaming service through Netflix, we also have an antenna on top of our house that picks up local television.  For those of you wondering if you need to go out and get a fancy digital antenna, the answer is no.  The antenna that we currently have is the same antenna that was there when we purchased our house about five and a half years ago, and by looking at it, I'm guessing it was probably installed in the 70's sometime.


Antenna television is not your antenna television from when you were a kid.  No longer is it only about seven channels.  We currently receive 40+ channels with quality television being broadcast on them.  What surprises most people when they are browsing through our antenna television is that the picture quality is in high definition.  It is actually clearer than the high definition television we received when we paid for cable.  In my opinion, that is pretty awesome...and thrifty!


I saved $52 a month ($624/year) by cancelling our cable, signing up for a low cost streaming television service and by watching free TV through our antenna.  How much can you save?


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...